Happy New Year! (Better late then never.)I hope that 2018 brings much happiness to you and your family. As I watched 2018 roll in, I noticed my friends on social media say “good riddance” to 2017 and talking about just how horrible it was. And let’s just say there were a lot of negatives in our world, needless acts of terror, death, devastating acts of nature, and let’s not talk about politics. However, I think when looking back on the previous year, it is easy to focus on the negatives and not remember those little nuggets of gold that are scattered throughout the year. I think in order to move into a new year, it is necessary to remember the good from the previous year and to send it off with a fond farewell. I firmly believe that if you focus only on what went wrong last year, it will foster negativity for the coming year. Besides…you will be happier thinking of all the funny, exciting, loving, wonder-filled events that happened.
So here goes…a quick list of the good that happened in 2017.
1. I travelled to Denmark with my Mom on the 1 year anniversary of her heart surgery. To be able to go on a trip like this with her was so very special. We’ve travel together all the time, but we had never gone out of the country. The year before I spent April driving to and from San Francisco to see her in the hospital everyday. I much preferred traveling to Europe with her. We walked everywhere! Prior to her surgery, she wouldn’t have been able to do that much walking. I am so very blessed to have been able to spend time with her on that trip. Definitely a memory I will never forget.
2. My first Pop Up Shop was a success!! I have dreamt of owning my a shop since I was a child and for one day, I had one. I remember this one moment where I was sweeping the foyer and it really felt like I was a shop owner. And I was! I had so many people that supported me by either helping me set up, working with me, or coming in to purchase an arrangement. Again, I am blessed to have so many wonderful, caring, and loving people in my life. (Hint: Keep an eye out for pop ups in 2018!)
3. My son has been home for a year after being in the Marines for 5 years. Now technically he came home in 2016, but there was talk of him moving to Oregon, which fell through, so he’s been home for the year. Now normally I support his goals and dreams, but secretly, I was glad to have him home again. The kid (kid…he’s 28) cracks me up. I was never quite sure what he was planning on doing now that he was home and that Oregon fell through. But he is never one to ask for help or favors so I knew he would find his way. During this year, he studied on line and got his certificate as a personal trainer and now has a job at his gym. I’m so proud of him that he has found what he wanted to do and to go out and get it. Finding his way back into civilian life was not easy, but I was always knew he would succeed in what he set his mind to as he’s always been smart and responsible.
4. Woman that have been victimized found a louder voice this past year. While you might not think of this as going on the “positive” list…because we are talking about verbally and physically abused women…it’s more the fact that we are being heard and actions have been taken…in some cases. It’s not perfect…but it’s progress.
5. I watched my town and county rise above the devastation that hit our community. The fires were unexpected, terrifying and heart breaking, but #sonomastrong came through from everyone. In that I found hope and inspiration.
There is my top 5 from 2017. What are your top 5? What inspired you or made you thankful? I would love to hear from you.
Looking forward into 2018, I’m extremely excited and motivated. While I was sick and doing nothing, I brainstormed and took notes for what I wanted for this year. Not just for the floral business but for me personally…and sometimes those lists overlapped. I’m trying to put infrastructures in place to support these goals and projects I have planned.
Here are few things that I’m eager to get started on this year:
This year, Marmalade Sky will be offering a subscription service where you can have fresh, seasonal flowers delivered monthly or bi-monthly to your home or office. My plan is to launch this service this spring, so keep your eye out for more details.
Lastly, there will be another Mother’s Day pop up shop. I had so much fun doing this last year and seeing all of you that came to the shop. It was really wonderful. I’m also noodling with the idea of having more frequent pop up shops throughout the year.
I’m currently designing my website, which I hope to have up and running by February, which will contain my portfolio, and have ways of which you can order on line.
As you can see I’m hitting the ground running. My mind is spinning in many directions, but they are all pointing the correct way!
Happy 2018 to you all. Thank you for your love and support this past year. Hope to see you soon!